Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Balance

I was so nervous about the transition of going from one to two kids. It was hard for me to imagine being able to hold that much love for another child. When Lizzie was born, I realized how easy it was to love her and Brecken. 


Being completely honest, the hardest part of this whole transition is finding balance. When Brecken was born I had to learn to balance being a mom and a wife. This time it was finding a balance between a newborn and an almost two year old. Lizzie was completely dependent on me, and yet here was sweet Brecken needing me too. I remember several times being in tears because I felt like I wasn’t giving him what he needed. It is true that with two kids, your once oldest and only child will have to share some of the attention they previously got all of, but they aren’t neglected either.  

When she was first born, I had a lot of help from my Mom and that gave Brecken someone to play with when I was busy with Lizzie.  When it was just the three of us, he unfortunately was entertained by TV a lot.  Lizzie went through a stage of having to be held for naps, so she was in my arms for a lot of the day.  We played as much as we could, but it was a lot of hit and miss.  I am still figuring it all out, but as Lizzie is getting older it is getting somewhat easier.  


Brecken and I get to have special time together when she naps in the mornings. That is his uninterrupted time. Lately it consists of about three things: playing blocks, playing with letters & numbers, or playing with tractors.  They both usually nap around the same time in the afternoon so that is my (short, yet much needed) alone time. The rest of the day is sort of like juggling and many times I drop the ball. We are learning together. Thankfully they won’t remember all the times I mess up at this stage. What I am seeing now that I couldn’t see in the beginning is the love they have for each other. Brecken loves Lizzie and she adores him.  We will see how that goes once she can start grabbing his toys! We just take it one day at a time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment