Monday, February 5, 2018

Mommy Style Monday: Family Valentines

This month for Mommy Style Monday we are talking about our Valentine's Day plans.  I will be the first to admit that I have never been a big fan of this holiday.  Being a teacher, it was a day of sugar rush and craziness.  We usually had parent teacher conferences on top of that.  It made for one really long day.  Brandon has ALWAYS been really thoughtful and creative for every holiday, so I have tried to get more into the spirit of it each year.  I am excited this year to share it with him and our kids.  As Brecken is getting older, he is starting to understand about holidays and that makes it so much more fun!

Decorations:   I try to keep it simple with decor.  I made a few small banners for our kitchen and mantles.  I also added a simple vinyl chalkboard on the wall over our kitchen table.  Last year I made centerpieces for our table using jars, candles, and candy hearts (all from the Dollar Tree).  Lastly, I got a cute letter board really cheap around Christmas and we have loved changing out the quotes for different occasions.

We keep it pretty simple around here.

There are 3 of these on our kitchen table.
Dollar Tree for the win!

Our mantle downstairs
Upstairs
Gifts:  Brandon and I have always done homemade gifts for Valentine's Day (insert Pinterest) because we don't like to spend a lot.  I can't share what I am doing this year because he reads this, but I'll share it after.  I will also do a homemade present for the kids.  Usually the gift includes some candy or other treats.  We made Brecken some play-dough last year; it was easy and we just keep it in the fridge.  If we have time, and I have the patience, we will attempt some other projects for the kids to make.

Valentine's Day:  I have a cute heart shaped muffin pan to make some muffins for breakfast.  Brandon will have to work, so most of the day will just be the kids and me. We have talked about how to celebrate, and we decided to just do the actual night of Valentine's Day as a family.  The plan is to get some festive plates and have a fun family dinner.  Papa Murphy's does a cute $7 heart shaped pizza that will be easy and yummy.  Then we will have dessert: a pizookie (pizza cookie) with some ice cream.   Brandon and I will "float" our celebration to a different day when we can find a babysitter.

This is probably the most we have done for Valentine's Day and it isn't going to be anything extraordinary.  I do love creating traditions and getting to watch Brecken and Lizzie experience holidays.

If you want to join in on Mommy Style Monday, click HERE or use the link to either Madeline’s or Kiana’s blog below.

Check out the other blogs:
Kiana at Glitter&Donuts
Madeline at CaseyLand


3 comments:

  1. I love your decor! We like keeping our simple too and just focusing on each other with minimal distractions haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! We do the heart shaped pizza also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Valentines was always a trip back in the good ole Bridger days! SO EXHAUSTING. Your decor is cute though, I need to be more creative with that kind of stuff! I always forget you can do super cute stuff just using things from the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete