Thursday, June 23, 2016

Yes, we made it! How we traveled across the country for the first time.

It has been a while since I shared my deep anxieties about traveling with my adorable, yet temperamental eight month old.  So, I thought I would give you a few of the highlights from our travels to and from the beach.  A better, longer vacation post will be coming sometime soon, hopefully.

Flying

This is how we fly. Sometimes.
Y'all this kid was amazing!  He was on a total of four flights and he did not have a melt down on any of them!  He slept on all of them, and was asleep the entire time for two whole flights!  I was shocked.  I was really worried about feeding him on the plane, but that came easy too.  Brecken loves books and sat and listened to us read to him for about 30-45 minutes on his first flight.  He was playful and a little loud at times (as all babies are).  I never got any dirty looks (that I noticed) and all the flight attendants were pretty much smitten by him.  Who wouldn't be?! His ears?  Well, on every take off or landing he was either asleep or he just sucked his thumb.  No screaming for this kid.

Sleeping the whole way from Chicago to Raleigh!
Sorry, Mom...no carrier!
I will say this:  the baby carrier was only successful about 50% of the time.  I'm thinking next trip we will just take the stroller and put the carrier in the suitcase.  He is heavy (23 pounds) and I about died toting him around the airports when he refused the carrier.

Also, security was very kind and understanding.  I was told in a nice way what I could do with him (they let you walk straight through with a carrier on) and his milk, food, etc.  No worries on that end either!

It helped a ton that I had my husband on the way there and my mom on the way back to help me, but I really do think I could take him solo now.  Who would have thought?!  Not me.



Driving

My son has hated being in the car for his entire life.  When he was a newborn he would scream just being put in the car seat.  Now, he has been much better lately, but not great.  When we landed in Raleigh we had to drive about three hours to get to the beach.  PERFECT ride.  Well, minus the roadside blowout pictured below.  He didn't cry and he even entertained himself and giggled the majority of the way.
Roadside blow out...CHECK.

He had to take another trip to and from the airport (6 hours) to drop my husband off.  Again, no tears. He would sleep, play, etc. We stopped a couple of times to feed him, change him, but that was it.

Riding, a lot. 
My Mom and I took him from the beach to her house (10 hours split into two days).  I was terrified we would be stopping all the time because we were cramped and he would have no one to sit with him in the back.  Basically he played with toys, took a nap, we stopped to eat/change him, repeat.  He was so good!  Sometimes I would play a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episode for him, but mostly he just kept himself entertained.  Can I just say that Micky Mouse Clubhouse has saved my sanity since he was about two months old.  It was the only way I could take a shower, make dinner, or just have a few minutes of not holding him.  Now, he loves it and will watch one episode a day so I can get a few extra things done.  Normally it is when I get dinner ready.

So I know that no child is perfect, but I was so impressed with Brecken being flexible on this trip.  He slept in a pack and play in three different places.  He napped pretty well.  We did have to spend hours in an urgent care because of some virus he had and teething wasn't all that fun.  All in all, it was not quite a vacation, but certainly not the trip I was expecting either.


Pure joy.
Here are a few adorable beach pictures because who doesn't love a chubby little baby at the beach? He LOVED the water.  He ate the sand (much to my dismay).  We went on many walks up and down the beach to take naps.  It was pretty much perfect.  More on that later.


Really? Another picture.  YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment